Thursday, July 31, 2008

Poetry Carla Bruni Style


Image via New York Sun

The most exciting thing I did today was snatch up the latest copy of Vanity Fair from my local drugstore. Usually, I do not buy magazines. I buy a cup of tea at Barnes and Noble instead, read the week's magazines in one fell lunch hour swoop, and call this budgeting. But occasionally a magazine cover will make me draw my breath in sharply. How could I resist the title "Carla Bruni: The New Jackie O?"

Carla Bruni entered my consciousness this January, when a particular nude print began hurdling off the walls of the small photography gallery I was working at. I remember one immensely awkward conversation with a client, who demurred that our particular print had a slightly different hip-to-under-arm angle than the pose he was most fond of. Apparently Carla Bruni was a subject of frequent study by him, as he had her as his screen saver.

In following the news I've been vaguely aware of Carla Bruni's power perch beside the French president Nicolas Sarkozy. The Vanity Fair article delivers the heady, dense history behind this. Following the love affairs of the two of them required all of my concentration for a full 40 minutes. Yet what makes the story so fascinating is the character of the subjects. Carla Bruni, independent, violinist, lyricist, won me over by the end of the article, as had her amazing outfits.

But it was a Google search for Bruni after reading the article that brought the full implications of the subject to my attention. It appears that her latest album, No Promises, is no less than a musical rendition of poems by Yeats, Dickinson, Auden, and Rossetti. I'm super-excited and putting it on my wanted list. See, I was right to catch my breath at the Vanity Fair article. Even if my original reason for knowing the subject was some guy's screen saver.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's been a certain amount of low-key raving over here about this new album. I'm not so convinced. I much prefer her singing in French. Somehow the language in song better suits the half-sung, faux-naif delivery. It worked 40 years ago for Francoise Hardy and on numbers like 'Quelqu-un M'a Dit' and 'Chanson Triste', it works for Carla Bruni. But, at the end of the day, and to maintain the Franglais theme, chaqu'un à son gout!