Monday, June 9, 2008

On trying to span Fashion and Poetry


Images via Urban Audrey

I have a new favorite blog. Urban Audrey. It's spunky, draws on a wide range of cultural sources both past and contemporary, and is brightly written and well-pictured. The trouble is trying to bring it under my poetry blanket...

A very kind fellow blogger recently responded to my plea for her to look over my blog. And something she noted was that this blog is a bit diverse in terms of subject matter. She kindly noted that this could be a good thing, as it might help attract a wider audience. Yet at the same time, I've noticed the more successful blogs tend to have a narrow focus. Say--fashion photography. Or poetry writing tips. Or economics by a wall streeter.

The trouble is I'm driven more by ideas than a particular subject matter. I'm convinced we live in telling times and want to write about new ideas across the board. I picked poetry because it's one thing I've kept up with reasonable consistency. But as can be seen, I'm already veering widely off course.

Does anyone know of any awesome blogs that are not driven by a single subject, but manage to produce consistent content, something readers can come back to? I could use inspiration and reassurance. In the meantime, I've been inspired by Urban Audrey to head to Forever 21 and shop for something cute, summery, quirky yet classic. Maybe I'll even write a poem about it. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi! Somehow I found your blog and I must say that I am quite flattered!

My advice would be to write about whatever interests you the most. Eventually your blog will have a partivular "style", but that will come later--my blog's 6 months old and I'm still figuring it out!

Good luck and thanks so much!

Tara said...

glad you stopped by! Thanks for the encouragement!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, narrow-minded modern people
keep focused on singular subjects.
How boring. Right on, Tara, you
lovely looking woman, keep commenting and observing the world
around you and probing its ideas
and values and find their inter-
connectedness--that's exciting and
original and artistic. Do you, by
chance paint? If you do, could you
picture them here? Your choice of
photos is very artistic. Love, TRR.

Hannah Stephenson said...

This is really interesting. I agree that there are connections between fashion and poetry (both types of art...both easy to access (or at least view), especially through the web.

So. There does seem to be a common denominator. Whatever you choose, definitely keep writing!

You might enjoy my blog, which uses images from The Sartorialist...also struggling to link fashion/poetry.