Sunday, June 1, 2008

Why I love my Job (even though I shouldn't)


Image via Textura Design
I am the proto-type failed college grad. Two years out of college, several internships down the road, and I'm working as a sales girl at a department store (special occasion dresses). I have no business loving my job. None of my barely-graduated-from-high-school co-workers are deluded into believing it will bring anything more than the hardly-above-minimum-wages garnered from it. And yet, I love it, I'm challenged by it, and I work hard at it.

Today I worked with an adorable little French woman. This is the second time I've helped her. The first time she was buying a dress in the afternoon for an evening graduation party from Columbia law school the same day. What impressed me was how perfectly she knew her body, what worked for her and what didn't. What also impressed me was how she managed to be completely tenacious in getting what she wanted while being so sweet and funny about it that it didn't seem to make extra work.

Somehow, I'm going to make this job yield time well spent. I need to make a list of all the (many) things I need to work on. I'm still the slowest salesperson in the building. Future posts in the making...

3 comments:

Aminul Haque said...

What a positive attitude! Keep it up and you would be noticed sooner or later. I have spent a long time just to get ahead and only now am learning the importance of enjoying "now".

Aminul Haque said...

What a positive attitude. Keep it up and you would be noticed sooner or later.

Tara said...

Thanks so much Aminul!