Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Red Herring Visits the Musuem


Image via Berry Falls

Result of a recent trip to MoMA:

The red herring
Visited the museum
As soon as he
Stepped inside
The red herring
Lost his mind
He forgot that
Pink was part
Of a flower
And repeated
It over and over
And over. Pink
Pink pink. The
Red herring
Climbed up
The wall and
Stared in
The mirror
For a long long
Time. Was it
Herring he
Saw or Red?

I've been thinking of writing a series of these red herring poems. Focused either on places and past-times in New York City or on exploring art/aesthetics. Ideas or thoughts on this?

MoMA by the way has a wonderful exhibition by Olafur Eliasson. Makes me believe in contemporary art again. His art is interactive in an irresistible and absolutely unforced way. So much of contemporary art is reactive and a little catty. Eliasson by contrast absorbs you (literally) in his art and... it's actually beautiful as well, in the way a glacier, forest, or waterfall is beautiful.

3 comments:

Justin Evans said...

That's te sort of idea which makes a great chapbook manuscript.

Over write. Get as many of them as you can, then pare them down to a tight 18-20 pages.

You've got something here.

Tara said...

Justin,

I'm so pleased about this that I'm not even sure what to say. So I guess I'll just write more herring poems. :) Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

I saw Eliasson at the MoMa, too.
I totally agree with you. Tara,
you have a way with words that
make me wonder: Is she a budding
art-critic? Love, The Red Rooster.